Sunday, December 12, 2010

Practicing Recovery

This past Saturday I attended a leaders meeting for my local Recovery chapter. I struggled with some fearful temper before deciding to attend. After all, I would be around people I never met before, and that stirred butterflies in my stomach and led to some blurry vision. However, I chose obligation over inclination and decided to attend. I knew I could bear any discomfort.

Of course, anticipation is usually worse than realization, and I found everyone to be pleasant and welcoming. However, I was startled when the chapter president called on me to handle comments for another leader’s example.

Instantly I felt blood rush to my face and my heart pound. My mind began to race with thoughts such as, “What if I make a fool of myself?” and “What if I make a mistake?” I was very self-conscious.

Yet I quickly spotted that I was startled, and that it is average to feel uncomfortable in an uncomfortable situation. I wore the mask and “muddled” my way through it. I endorsed not only for having the courage to make a mistake, but also for deciding to attend the meeting in the first place. Even when attending Recovery meetings themselves we can find ways to practice!
______________________________________________

On a separate note, I found one of Katy Perry’s latest music videos to have an especially encouraging message for those struggling with anxiety.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the Katy Perry video! It's an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

love that girl