Sunday, July 26, 2009

Making mental health a business

It's summer. The sky is sunny; I have a lot of yard projects; and every weekend there's a party somewhere. So finding time to read my Recovery books has been a challenge.

Yet, as my group leader often says, it doesn't matter if you read an entire chapter or just a paragraph—as long as you stay in the daily habit. I do become a little stressed about not finishing a chapter, but really that is quite silly (the "stranger in the brain" talking nonsense).

To make my mental health a business, as Dr. Low said, I really need to find some time to read Mental Health Through Will-Training more often! Hmm, maybe outside. :)

5 comments:

Cliff Brown said...

Hello Doug,

Nice post; if you know about the "stranger in the brain", you have definitely gotten into the books so endorse!

All my best,

Cliff Brown

Anonymous said...

I find reading Dr. Low is self-reinforcing since it makes me feel so good, but I don't get around to it every day and I think that's average! Cliff's point about endorsing is good. I think this tool might apply: "Blind spot your failures and highlight your gains."

Hua said...

Hi Doug,

This is a great post. I like your group leaders words of wisdom, "it doesn't matter if you read an entire chapter or just a paragraph--as long as you stay in the daily habit." I think that is a great outlook! It is better to focus on the positives rather than the negatives :). I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua

Nervous Girl said...

Moving your muscles is also another great way to practice Recovery, especially on a warm, sunny day.

Nervous Girl

Doug said...

Thanks for your comments, everybody! Reading the book definitely helps make the day easier to handle :)